THE European Union has 28 member countries – but Europe itself has 50 nations.
So which countries are in the European Union, which countries aren’t, and are countries like Guernsey and Tenerife part of it? Here’s our lowdown…
PA The UK voted to leave the European Union in a move dubbed ‘Brexit’
Which countries are in the EU?
Here is a list of every country in the European Union:
Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta Netherlands Poland Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden United Kingdom (is due to leave on 29/04/2019)
PA:Press Association The EU is an economic and political partnership involving 28 European countries
Which countries are in Europe but not the EU?
Albania Andorra Armenia Azerbaijan Belarus Bosnia and Herzegovina Georgia Iceland Kazakhstan Kosovo Liechtenstein Macedonia Moldova Monaco Montenegro Norway Russia San Marino Serbia Switzerland Turkey Ukraine Vatican City
Article 50: What it says
1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.
2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.
3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it. A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.
Are countries like Guernsey and Tenerife in the EU?
The European Union makes special cases for certain territories that belong to member states of the European Union.
They can enjoy the benefits of single market access without being members of the customs union.
Tenerife, Jersey and Guernsey are three such states – but the latter two will cease to enjoy the benefits when Britain leaves.
Ex-PM Tony Blair says Brexit would pose serious challenge to Northern Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.